Now, I’m not so arrogant to say that I invented road trips, but I will be so arrogant to say that I have mastered the art of combining Social Media with road trips. (At least for me…)
One question that comes up often is a very simple one:
How do you keep your business running while you’re traveling across the country in your shiny yellow car?
Fair question, isn’t it?
Some Secrets To Life On The Road
I have a load of Four-Hour-Work-Week type secret weapons that help me keep life rolling along. Here are a few of them:
- TimeSVR – Not your typical Virtual Assistant… They will perform an unlimited number of basic tasks for you in a month, for the low, low price of $69/mth. I have them research & book hotels, schedule oil changes, car maintenance, and look up directions, etc. Anything needed to keep me driving safely across the country, they can handle it.
Sign up for a free 3 day trial and find out for yourself!
- The UPS Store – This one is special because it is how I put money in the bank and pay my bills.
- Special Trick #1: A mailbox.
I have one central mailbox address that I use for all of my checks & bills to come to. I have them sorted and then items are either forwarded to the bank, an assistant to manage, or if they are important enough to need my personal attention, I have them forwarded to The UPS Store in the city that I will be next.
- Special Trick #2: Pack light, ship cheap.
I always bring socks, underwear and a cell phone. Everything else is negotiable. If something I forgot becomes important enough that I can’t operate without it, I have it shipped to me. Considering how cheap shipping is, I probably save money on gas by leaving heavy stuff at home until I need it. (Bumblebee isn’t great on gas…)
(This was an absolute life saver when I needed a last minute suit & tie for a fund-raising event. The $40 shipping fee took only 4 days from Canada and saved me a boat load of dollars by not having to buy a new suit)
- Special Trick #3: Signature please! I also use The UPS Store as a notary public when I need my signature notarized on legal documents, etc. I don’t know for sure if every location offers this service, but I have always been able to find one when I needed one.
- Special Trick #1: A mailbox.
These are 2 of the simplest, but they are invaluable. I couldn’t make it happen without them.
Now It’s Your Turn… Got Any Ideas?
As you probably already know, I’m not a genius. 😛
I learned these tricks from other people who had already been doing something similar.
Now, as we’re gearing up for the Mercedes Benz Tweet Race to the Superbowl in Dallas, I’m looking for cool new ways to use my support team. (ie: The UPS Store)
- Do you have any suggestions?
- How have you used The UPS Store?
- How do you think I could use it while on a road trip to the Superbowl??
PS – I’m Giving You A Prize! (You want $25 for free??)
First 10 people to provide a thoughtful suggestion on how I can use The UPS Store in the #MBTweetRace road trip to Dallas will get a $25 gift card to spend as you wish.
All you have to do is leave a comment below and then send me a tweet with your idea!
- Featured on Fox News – 12 Days of Holiday Giving Using Social Media
- A big THANK YOU from the blue hair…
- #12DaysOfGiving Day 12: Beth Kanter @Kanter & Sharing International
- #12DaysOfGiving Day 11: Lisa Hammond @thebarefootceo & Grameen America
- #12DaysOfGiving Day 10: Dan Meyer @halfdan & @Compassion International
SQIAR BI: Thanks a lot for sharing this with all f
From tweet to meet: Collaboration 2.0 | DesignBusiness: [...] and influence in social media to s
A Brief History of Social Media Fundraising | HelpAttack!: [...] #12DaysOfGiving (December) [...]
Michelle Sedas: Thank you, Lovely Lisa, for letting your
Michelle Sedas: I'd really *like* to get a "12" tattoo o
- #12DaysOfGiving (15)
- Arizona (17)
- Costa Rica (3)
- Denver (8)
- Georgia (1)
- Indiana (1)
- Main Content (2)
- Manitoba (14)
- Meetups / Tweetups (14)
- Nevada (4)
- New York (1)
- North Dakota (1)
- Social Media Adventure in the Media (13)
- Social Media Quirks (17)
- Tennessee (1)
- Texas (1)
- Tidbits (2)
- Utah (9)
- Videos (3)
- Wisconsin (2)
- January 2012 (2)
- December 2011 (16)
- October 2011 (3)
- September 2011 (3)
- August 2011 (4)
- July 2011 (3)
- April 2011 (2)
- March 2011 (3)
- January 2011 (4)
- December 2010 (2)
- November 2010 (2)
- October 2010 (2)
- September 2010 (1)
- August 2010 (5)
- July 2010 (3)
- June 2010 (6)
- May 2010 (5)
- April 2010 (5)
- March 2010 (3)
- November 2009 (2)
- October 2009 (1)
- August 2009 (2)
- July 2009 (16)
- June 2009 (3)
- May 2009 (1)